These workshops, written in 2011, aim to achieve the following:
- Provoke a debate between members about the right to strike.
- Allow for a debate about the particular issues of pensions.
- Get members to think about their own position, and how they want to respond to the strike.
- Complete a concrete action from the workshop.
The Right to Strike — Facts
- The European Court of Human Rights has previously ruled that the right to strike is a human right.
- Under Article 23 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights it is also a human right to be a part of a trade union.
- Strikes have been a tool used by workers to fight for a number of issues:
- fairer wages.
- safer and healthier working conditions.
- fairer pension plans.
- job security.
- To go on strike, a worker gives up their pay for every day they strike. Long strikes, such as the miners’ strike have huge impacts on working communities.