Gift Aid guidance for District Treasurers
What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid enables charities like Woodcraft Folk to claim back the tax paid by donors on money they donate to the charity. If you are a UK taxpayer, every £10 you donate could be worth £12.80 to Woodcraft Folk.
Donors need to complete a simple form with their name, address, amount donated and confirming that they have paid tax on the money they are donating and wish the charity to be able to claim it back as Gift Aid.
You can download the standard Woodcraft Folk Gift Aid Declaration here.
How do we claim Gift Aid?
To enable Woodcraft Folk to claim Gift Aid on donations made to your District (contributions to your camp fundraising for example), you need to do the following:
- Ensure that any donors who are UK taxpayers complete the Gift Aid Declaration.
- Record their donation on the District Gift Aid log.
- Keep a copy of the paying in slip, confirmation of bank transfer, or bank statement relating to the donation.
- As soon as possible after banking, send a copy of the District Gift Aid log, along with evidence of banking for each donation and the original Gift Aid Declarations to Folk Office (Woodcraft Folk, Unit 9, 83 Crampton Street, London SE17 3BQ).
1. What can we claim gift aid on?
Gift Aid can be claimed on any donation from a UK taxpayer who has paid more in tax than the amount of Gift Aid we are claiming.
If in doubt, please check with Folk Office – email@example.com
2. What if the donor has already filled in a Gift Aid form?
If you are certain that a donor has already filled in a form or you’ve checked with Folk Office to confirm this, please indicate this on the District Gift Aid log. If in doubt, ask them to fill in a new form – duplication is better than missing out on the additional contribution from the Treasury!
3. What happens to the Gift Aid that is claimed?
Gift Aid from membership fees is used to support core Woodcraft Folk activity, including General Council and Annual Gathering.
At present, the Venturer Camp organising team are working out how to use the Gift Aid claimed on fees for Venturer Camp 2013 and will update the website soon.
If you wish to claim Gift Aid on other fundraising that your district is undertaking, we can process it in the same way. An admin charge of 4% is retained centrally to cover the costs of processing and the remainder will be passed on to your district to add to your fundraising target.
|WF gift aid log sheet.xls||16 KB|